National Library Week 2021
It’s National Library Week! Celebrate with us from April 4 to 10
Your Libraries need your support!
The theme for this year’s National Library is “Welcome to Your Library.” First sponsored in 1958, National Library Week is sponsored by the American Library Association (ALA) and celebrated each April across the country.
The events of this past year have taught us that libraries extend far beyond the four walls of a building – and everyone is welcome. During the pandemic, San Mateo County Libraries staff continued to exceed their communities’ needs by adapting resources and services. From providing curbside and walk-up service to 100,000 customers or hosting virtual programming, staff have been creative. In addition, staff provided virtual story times, Zoom English classes for adults, Wi-Fi hotspots, and providing meals.
How can you participate in National Library Week?
While we are waiting for San Mateo County Libraries to re-open sometime in April, there are many resources available. Check out the great collection of eBooks, eAudiobooks, streaming movies, and digital magazines available 24/7 with your library card. In addition, you can also use online resources including research databases, language learning, career and test preparation, financial information and more.
Share your support over social media!
Follow us at @FoundationSmcl, @SMCLibraries and @IloveLibraries. Share our posts and stay up to date on our latest news and activities.
Libraries offer opportunities for everyone to explore new worlds and become their best selves. They provide access to technology and educational programs for lifelong learning and the Foundation’s mission is to support this work.
- Monday, April 5: State of America’s Libraries Report released, including Top Ten Frequently Challenged Books of 2020.
- Tuesday, April 6: National Library Workers Day, a day to recognize the valuable contributions made by all library workers.
- Wednesday, April 7: Donate and make a difference on Library Giving Day!!
- Wednesday, April 7: National Library Outreach Day. A day to celebrate library outreach and the dedicated library professionals who are meeting the community where they are.
- Thursday, April 8: Take Action for Libraries Day, a day to rally advocates to support libraries.